Are you looking for a solution to QuickBooks won’t open error that occurs in your QB when opening the company file? If yes, then you have landed on the right place. QuickBooks often encounter various types of errors, but one of the most unexpected states can be, when QuickBooks won’t open or QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start for a couple of minutes. The reason behind this error can be many such as, technical issue, or any other error triggered this issue and what not. This type of technical glitch could be seen when there is any kind of damage to the program files. Well, there are numerous facts related to this error that we have discussed in this article. If you want to unleash those facts, you have to read this article till the end.
However, another solution for fixing this error can be to consult a team of experts and certified accounting professionals. You can also make a call at our toll-free number, and our support team will be there to assist you in a single call. Thus, do not hesitate in calling us anytime, as our QB experts will be happy to help you.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 15270?
What leads to QuickBooks won’t open error?
There can be several factors that might lead to this type of error. We have jotted down a few of the commonly seen factors. Let us check out those causes:
- If the company name is too long
- Another factor causing the issue can be damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file
- Also in case the hard drive got corrupted, then the user might encounter this error.
- If the windows operating system is damaged for some reason, the user might end up in facing this issue.
- Also, if by any chance the QuickBooks desktop installation is not functioning effectively, then get ready to encounter this error
- Another reason can be, if an incorrect QuickBooks version or outdated QuickBooks version is used to open the files.
- One more reason can be, if there is any kind of issue with the reports in the file, then this kind of error could be seen.
- Incorrect methods to open a particular file can also end up in this kind of error.
How to Identify QuickBooks won’t open Error?
In order to identify or spot the error, it is must for the user to consider the below stated signs and symptoms:
- If the user is making use of an Older version of QuickBooks, then the error is probable to happen
- Also, in case the system freezes periodically
- Another sign of this error can be if the company file fails to open
- Also, if the system responds slowly to mouse and keyboard inputs, then this error might come up
- One more symptom of this error can be if the QuickBooks is not installed in a proper manner.
- The system will show error messages like QuickBooks has stopped working or QuickBooks won’t open. Or you may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks won’t open error
There can be more than one solution to fix this error. In this article, we will be discussing each of the methods that can be used by the users to fix the QuickBooks won’t open error. Let us check out each of the solutions:
Step 1: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
QuickBooks tool hub is a recently lanced program by Intuit which contains all the tools of QuickBooks on it. You can use this tool hub to fix common QB problems:
- First of all, download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file from here.
- After that save the file on your Windows desktop
- Double click on the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- To install this program in your system follow the on-screen commands and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation complete, click twice to the newly created icon on your Windows desktop to open this tool
- Here you need to choose the Program Problems tab.
- And choose Quick Fix my Program option.
- Wait for few seconds and then start your QuickBooks and open your data file.
See this also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
Step 2: Downloading and running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Important: The Microsoft components include the following: Microsoft.NET Framework, Microsoft MSXML, and Microsoft Visual C++.
QuickBooks users might encounter various problems, but at the same time resolving these issues is not a major concern with QuickBooks install diagnostic tool. This tool is designed in a way to diagnose and fix the issues freely with the help of Microsoft components that are used in the QuickBooks accounting software. The QBInstall diagnostic tool can be a great savior to resolve the QuickBooks errors that the user encounter while installing the software.
- First of all you need to open Tool Hub program on your system.
- After that select Installation Issues in the tools hub,
- Choose QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool option.
- Once the QBInstall tool finishes it’s process, just reboot your system.
- Finally, start your software and open your company file.
You may also read: Latest features of QuickBooks Desktop 2020
Step 3: Remove or Rename QBWUSER.INI file
When the user renames or deletes the QBWUSER.INI file, the information that is saved in that list gets erased. The process involves certain steps that we have enumerated below:
- The first step is to press Windows + E keys.
- After that, hit folder and search options, under the organize tab.
- Now, hit the View tab.
- The next step in the process is to select the advanced settings >> hidden files and folders, and then choose the Show hidden files and folders, and then hit OK.
- Moving to the next step, the user is required to visit the My Computer >> C: drive >> Documents >> Your user name >> Local settings >> Application data >> Intuit >> QuickBooks Year respectively.
- Once performed the above step, the user is required to right click the QBWUSER.INI file and then hit delete or rename options.
Note: the point to be noted here is that, QuickBooks accounting software automatically builds the new QBWUSER.INI file.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error Code 15215?
Step 4: Opening company file from a different folder location
There can be a situation when the folder where the company file is located gets corrupted. In such situations, the user is required to carry out the following steps:
- The very first step is to press the windows + E keys simultaneously
- And then, search for the data file that has .qbw as the extension. When the user looks for a file that is situated on a network server, the user is required to browse to the network drive that has the data file.
- Once done with that, the user is required to right-click on the company file, and then hit Copy option.
- Moving forward, the user is required to spot the C: Drive and then form a new folder.
- Now, name the newly made folder as QBTEST.
- After that, the user is supposed to open the new QBTEST folder and then paste the company file at that particular folder.
- Moving to the next step, the user has to open the QuickBooks accounting software, and then hold the CTRL key.
- The next step in the process is to press Open or Restore an existing company and also examine the C:\QBTEST folder that was made earlier.
- The last and final step in the process is to open the company file that the user copied in the QBTEST folder.
Step 5: Close the QBW32.exe process
When none of the above methods work, it is recommended to opt for closing QBW32.exe process. The steps involved in this process are:
- To begin with, right click the Windows taskbar and then opt for Start Task manager.
- The next step is to click on the Process option and then click on the Image name header. This step actually sorts the processes alphabetically.
- Once done with that, the user needs to locate QBW32.EXE and choose it.
- Finally hit a click on End process.
See this also: Troubleshooting Steps for QuickBooks Error C=1304
Step 6: Using Clean install for Uninstalling or Reinstalling QuickBooks
When the user opts for uninstalling and installing QuickBooks, it offers an opportunity to the software to refresh itself entirely and along with that coming back with the updated version. Clean installation plays a vital role in rectifying QuickBooks won’t open issues in the best possible ways. This tool auto renames your old install folders for you and allows QuickBooks to add new install files when you reinstall it.
QuickBooks won’t open error can be pretty annoying for many users. However, following the above stated methods to fix this bug can work wonders. If by any chance the error continues, or in case any of your query remained unanswered, then feel free to speak to our QuickBooks enterprise support team and clear all your clouds of confusion.
We are a hub of tech savvy professionals, who have renowned experience and expertise in dealing with the issues associated with QuickBooks. Thus, do not hesitate in reaching out to us, simply dial our toll-free number i.e. 1(844)521-0490, and we will be there to assist you in a single call.
Other helpful articles: