Learn the process to resolve QuickBooks error code -6000 and related errors.
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software, but similar to other software it is not free from technical glitches. One such error that we are going to elaborate on in this article is QuickBooks error code 6000. As a result of such an error, the software might freeze, and the user might not be able to access the company file. When such an error appears, it brings along 3 to 4 digits indicating the user won’t be able to open the company file. Continue reading the article to find out the complete steps that can be performed to eliminate the issue successfully. However, if there is any query, the user can contact us and our experts will surely help. Give us a call at +1-844-521-0490, and discuss your queries with our certified ProAdvisors.
Read Also: How to merge vendors in QuickBooks desktop?
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
When the user makes an attempt to open the company file, he/she would instantly get QuickBooks error -6000 XXXX, as well as there might occur an issue in opening up the company file. This error is adhered to by 4 numbers and also presents an error message showing that the user is unable to open the company file. When you face such type of errors in QuickBooks, the first point to do is not to panic. Our QuickBooks Enterprise support team is here to fix all your errors related to your accounting software.
Know the QuickBooks Error code 6000 and Others
The following table are the different -6000 series errors that the user might encounter on QB software:
|-6176, 0||Firewall is blocking the connection between the two computers|
|-6000, -107||The .TLG file is corrupted|
|-6000, -1076||QuickBooks installation is corrupted|
|-6010, -100||A computer that is not the server is hosting the company file|
|-6012, -1061||Incorrect network setup|
|-6129, -101||Incorrect folder permission or if the QB Database Server Manager is not working properly|
|-6190, 816||Another user is logged in to the company file in single user mode.
It can also be a mismatch between the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw)
|-6000, -832||This error normally occurs when hosting is turned on or the .ND file is not working properly|
|-6144, -304||When you start QuickBooks or open your company file and sometimes this happens on a sample file|
|-6000, -305||Incorrect network setup or it could be that the company file is damaged|
|-6073, -816||Multiple computers are hosting the file or it could be firewall settings are blocking the connection or it could be the file is damaged|
|-6144,-103||The .ND file has an incorrect path to your company file or if the Windows user account used by QuickBooks Database Manager is damaged|
|-6120, 0||One of the work stations is hosting the company file or the firewall port 8019 is blocked|
|-6087, 0||This error happens when opening up the file in your locally|
|-6147, 0||You receive this error when you open the company file or restore a company backup (. QBB).|
Possible Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6000
Below we have listed the symptoms and signs that can help the user to identify the QuickBooks error 6000 and others. Check them out one by one:
- Error 6000 is displayed with the error message
- System crashes again and again with Error message 6000
- Windows runs sluggishly and responds very slow to mouse or key-board inputs
- And lastly, if the system freezes repeatedly
What leads to Error 6000 in QuickBooks?
There are a couple of factors that might cause this error. We have listed some of the most common factors leading to this annoying error below. Let us have a look:
- The very first reason can be, firewall or other security programs blocking the internet connection
- Or if the file present in QuickBooks is damaged
- QuickBooks installation is not completed successfully
- Network connection on the system has been incorrectly configured
- Company file is damaged or corrupted, then this type of issues can be seen
- .TLG file got corrupted
- It can also be seen when the user tries to restore a previous backup of the files
You may also like: What is QuickBooks Error C=1304?
Fixation of QuickBooks Error Code 6000 (and others)
In order to fix the QuickBooks error code -6000, the user will have to analyze certain conditions. We have jotted down the conditions, as well as the methods to fix the issue. Thus, follow the instructions given below to resolve the error -6000 manually: –
Condition 1: You are opening the file locally
The very first condition is if the user opens a company file locally on the same system where the QuickBooks accounting software is being set up.
Method 1: Restore a backup
Since the company file did not open even when it had been moved to another location, it is required to restore a backup copy of your company file to check if the problem is with the present employer file (.QBW).
The user can follow the steps below, in case an error is seen while restoring the backup process:
- First of all, the user needs to verify that the system is not hosting.
- For this, the user needs to Open the company file.
- And then, In the “File” menu, choose the “Utilities” tab
- If Stop Hosting Multi-User Access is listed:
- The user is required to choose the ‘Stop Hosting Multi-User Access’ icon.
- And then visit “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” window, then hit onto the “Yes” icon.
- Followed by, In the company file has to be closed window, and then click on the “Yes” icon.
- The user is also required to make sure the path to your company file is no more than 210 characters.
- For this, visit the location of your company file.
- And then, copy the path from the address bar at the top.
- Now, paste it on your notepad and count the character including the spaces.
- The last step in this process is to retry restoring the company file.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks Error 12029?
Method 2: Renaming the .ND and .TLG data file
The .ND and .TLG files become an essential part of QuickBooks files. These are setup files that access the QuickBooks to a company file in a network or multi-user mode.
In case the .ND and .TLG files get damaged or corrupted, the user will encounter these errors when he/she opens up QuickBooks file. Renaming these files will certainly not hamper QuickBooks data. These files are immediately re-created, when the user scans using the QuickBooks database server manager and also at the time of opening the company file. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, Open the folder that contains the company file.
- Now, spot the files with the same file name as your company files that have the extensions .ND and.TLG.
- The next step in the process is to right-click on each file as well as choose the Rename option. The user is also required to add the word OLD at the end of each file name. Instance: company_file. qbw.nd.OLD
- The last step in this process is to open your QuickBooks again and then try to login into your company file.
Method 3: Open a sample company file
The next method in this process is to open a sample company file. By opening up a sample company file, you are checking if the trouble potentially exists with your company file or the QB application. If a sample company file does close and instead returns an error, it is an indication that the QuickBooks installation is damaged and also needs to be fixed.
- In the No company file window appears, you need to choose the Open a Sample File and then choose any type of from the listing of sample company files.
Related Article: How to resolve QuickBooks Error 9999?
Condition 2: You are opening up the file over the network
Now comes the second condition, where the user will be opening up the file over the network. This means you are opening up the company file saved on the web server or another computer system.
Method 1: Open up/Access the QB company file locally
By opening up the file locally, you are examining if there is a trouble with the area of the QB company file. If the file opens up while it is reduced the desktop, it implies the area is possibly damaged or it is “too deep”, it went beyond the file system path restriction. If the file still did not open after transforming its location, it is possible the file is damaged.
- The very first step is to open/Access the folder which contains the QB company file.
- And then, locate the file with the .QBW extension.
- The next step is to right-click on the desired file, then choose the “Copy” icon.
- At the desktop, the user is supposed to right-click on the desktop, and then click on the “Paste” icon.
- While holding down the control key, make sure tp open QuickBooks so you are guided to the “No Company Open” home window.
- Now, select the “Open or restore an existing company” tab. Followed by browsing to the desktop computer, and looking for the QB company file you copied as well as opening.
Read it also: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Method 2: Inspect if Hosting is activated, on all workstation
Then comes the second method in this condition, where the user is supposed to inspect if the hosting is activated on all workstations.
- In this process, the user needs to press the “F2” key. The Item Info window opens up.
- And then locate the ‘Local Web Server’ Details. Hosting should be turned off.
- This might resolve the issue up to certain extent
Method 3: Rename the .ND and .TLG files as well as restart/rescan the Database server Manager
The .ND and .TLG files belong to the QuickBooks files. These are configured files that allow QuickBooks to access a company file in a network or multi-user mode.
If these files are damaged or harmed, you will certainly run into these errors when you open your QB files. Renaming these data will not trigger you to lose QuickBooks data. These files are immediately recreated when you rescan making use of the QuickBooks database server manager tool as well as when you open your company file.
- Firstly, open the folder that contains your company file.
- Now search for the the files with the exact same file name as your company files yet with extensions .ND and .TLG files.
- Next, Give a right-click on each file.
- After that choose Rename option.
- Finally add the word OLD at the end of each file name.
You may also like: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
The purpose of QuickBooks database server manager is to hold your QB company files. It is best to restart the DBSM as well as re-scan the QuickBooks files after you rename the .ND and .TLG data/files.
- First of all, you need to restart the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” tool, and then re-scan the company file.
- After that Click on the “Start” button => “All Programs” => “QuickBooks” icon => “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” tool icon.
- Next, hit onto the “Scan folder” tab.
- Now click on the “Add folder” tab (if no folders exist). Or else, highlight the folder with the data, after that press the “Check” button.
- Verify that the company file(s) concerned shows in the bottom box with heading “QuickBooks company files located”.
- After that try to open up the file once again.
- To end the process, Open QuickBooks once again and also attempt to login to your company file.
Read also: How to fix QuickBooks Error code 99001?
Method 4: Open a sample company files in the location set up on a workstation
By opening a sample company file, the user needs to test if the trouble potentially lies with the company file or the QB application. If an example company file does not open and instead returns an error, it is a sign that the QuickBooks installation is having an error and also must be fixed.
- In the “No Company Open” window, the user needs to select “Open a Sample File” tab, and then click on the ‘sample company file’ list.
- In case the sample file opens up, continue with another solution. If the sample file returns the very same warning error message, fix the QuickBooks installation.
Method 5: Close all running tasks
The user can also close all the running tabs, in order to fix QuickBooks error 6000. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- To begin with, the user needs to sign in as the ‘Administrator on the server’ computer system.
- And then, press the “Ctrl+ Change+ Esc” keys simultaneously to raise the task manager.
- After that, show processes for all users by opting for the “Users” tab.
- Now, the user is supposed to highlight each QuickBooks process (QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and also QBDBMgr.exe), after that opt for End Job.
- The last step is to open the company file in multi-user mode.
Related post: How to solve QuickBooks Error 3371?
Method 6: Set-up firewall program ports as well as Anti-Virus Software
In case the above method failed to work for you, then you can set up the firewall program ports as well as the antivirus software. The user might also come across errors if the firewall software, as well as anti-virus program blocks accessibility to specific QB programs or files. It is the best option to configure your firewall ports and also to establish an exemption to your anti-virus software.
Method 7: Use UNC path instead of a mapped device
This is the last method that one can opt for in order to resolve this issue. In this method, the user needs to use the UNC path instead of a mapped device. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The first step is to right click the “QuickBooks icon“.
- And then, press “Ctrl key” and then click on “Run as administrator” option.
- After that, the user is supposed to hold the “Ctrl key” until the “No Company Open Window” appears on the screen.
- Moving ahead, click on “Restore Company“, from the “File menu“.
- The next step in the process is to select “Open a company file” and then hit “Next“.
- Now, click on “Network” and in the left pane and move to the location of the company file.
- If the user is unable to look for folder, where the company file was saved, then “set folders permission“.
- The last step is to select company file and hit “Open“.
Now that you know the steps to deal with such an error, it is time to carry out the steps to remove the issue from its root cause. But if for some reason the issue persists, then make sure to contact our team professionals at +1-844-521-0490, and let them perform the steps needed for you. Do not hesitate in contacting our experts and they will provide you with immediate support services.
FAQs Related to QuickBooks Error Code 6000
The QuickBooks error code 6000 is basically a company file error in QuickBooks that can be seen when the user tries to open or restore a company file. It appears on the screen with a warning message “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file. Please try again”.
You can try fixing the error code 6000 in QuickBooks using the steps below:
1. Check if the hosting is on for all workstations.
2. Another process that you can choose is to copy the company file to the desktop
3. Try updating QuickBooks to the latest release.
4. Open the company file over a network.
You can experience error code 6000 in case:
1. The system firewall or antivirus is preventing the internet connection.
2. Moreover, if QuickBooks file is damaged
3. Multiple users logged in to the same company file.
4. QuickBooks installation wasn’t done properly.
Other helpful articles