Learn how you can fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error at home:
QuickBooks is one of the most comprehensive bookkeeping and accounting software available in the market. Small and medium-sized organizations all around the world use it to manage their business as it is easy to understand and comes loaded with a great number of features. For any organization, keeping the financial data safe and secure is one of the most important things and it gets particularly troublesome whenever a simple bug or error halts the complete workflow.
At the time of restoring a backup you may see one of the following error message on your screen:
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file
As for QuickBooks Desktop, this happens when users come face to face with the QuickBooks ‘Restore Failed’ error. So, in order to contain the damage it causes to a user in terms of wasting the productive time, let us learn all about QuickBooks Restore Failed error.
Also, we will discuss all working methods which can be used to fixing this error as well. Thus, scrolling through the post would help to get rid of the error. But if in case you are seeking for technical assistance, feel free to call us anytime. Make a call at our customer support number i.e. +1-844-521-0490, and let our experts and QuickBooks ProAdvisors handle the situation for you.
You may also read: What is error 502 bad gateaway in QuickBooks?
What is QuickBooks Restore Failed Error?
QuickBooks Restore Failed error is considered as one of the hardest errors to tackle. The reason behind this is that it not only makes it hard for the user to work on the file as the previous saved data and files may not be able to get restored but also the integrity of the company file may have been tampered to some extent.
A wide range of issues may trigger this error. Thus, it makes it harder for the user to pinpoint the issue from the get-go.
What are the reasons for QuickBooks Restore Failed Error?
As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of reasons which might be the cause of QuickBooks Restore Failed error. So, here are some of the most common factors that are noticed amongst users who face this issue in their system:
- The company file is found to be corrupted or damaged in some manner
- The backup is restored into a storage device such as Flash drive or External hard disk drive which is not plugged in or is corrupted
- Might be your company file name includes special characters ( / \ < > ! $).
- The backup is being restored on a previously existing company file
- The title of the company file includes special symbols and thus, the latest update of QuickBooks has a hard time locating it
- Possibly size of the backup file is less than 6 MBs and hence it is not actually a backup file, to begin with
- In case the backup is created in a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop and the user is trying to open it up in an older version, then also, they might be facing the Restore Failed error.
- The company file is compromised.
So, it might be hard for a user to point out the exact reason behind the cause of QuickBooks Restore Failed error. But, regardless of that, the diagnosis steps we are about to mention further will help you to get rid of the error in every form.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks restore failed error
There can be certain signs and symptoms of QuickBooks restore failed error, which would help in identifying the error. This includes the following:
- The very first sign can be the backup is restoring the file which exists in advance
- Also, if you are able to restore the backup via USB flash drive
- Incorrect backup file being restored
- Backup was done with the latest or different version of QuickBooks
Important points to remember
- The user should ensure that the data is saved by QuickBooks in file with .qbw extension or .qb2017
- QuickBooks also permits the user to create a full backup .qbb or .dmg extensions are used in the file
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error code H303?
What are the methods to fix Restore Failed Error in QuickBooks?
Following is a list of methods, if followed correctly, will help the user to get rid of the QB Restore Failed error popup. So, let’s get started:
Method 1: Do not overwrite an existing company file while a restore is in the process
This comes down to the most basic saving ethic that is to be followed by every user of QuickBooks Desktop. So, whenever you are saving a file, ensure that the folder location does not contain any other file with the same name. This will ensure that the file will not overwrite itself and hence no issue will occur. The user should keep in mind the below pointers:
- At the time when the user is on the window asking for the location to save the file, the user needs to browse to the standard location for the saving the file.
- ALso, in case the name is similar to that of another file in this folder, the user will see a message: “The filename exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?“
- For this, the user needs to select the No option
- And then change the name of the file to be different from the existing file
You may also like: Easy Steps to Download and Use QuickBooks Component Repair Tool
Method 2: Ensure that the file being processed is a valid file
Here, valid means that the compatibility of the file with the version of the software should be in sync. So, suppose if you are trying to open a QB2007 file in some older version of QuickBooks, then there is a great chance of the restore being failed in the process.
Method 3: Check if a backup is available on the system
There are times when users mistakenly create a backup on external storage devices. In these cases, what happens is that due to the file or device getting corrupt, the Restore fails. In this case, if the external device is working fine then copying the file to the local storage will ensure that the Restore will not fail again. Also, restoring a backup to and fro local system is easier than using a flash drive or network drive. It is highly recommended to copy the backup of the desktop, before restoring it. This ensures the safety of the file.
Method 4: Removing Special Characters from the company file
Ensure that whenever you are creating a company file or a backup, the name of the file should never contain special characters. It not only makes it harder for the system to recognize and locate the files but also there is a high chance that the popup ‘Restore failed’ will be faced by the user. The steps involved in here are as follows:
- The very first step is to look for the location of the company file. Also, note that you can opt search for files using windows, for any further help
- After that, right click the file name and then choose the rename option
- Lastly, create a file name having no special character and hit Enter
Method 5: Copying a backup file to a new folder before restoring it
Copying the backup to a new folder ensure that it is not in the folder that might be damaged. With the help of windows explorer, the user can copy and paste the file into the folder in a different location.
Method 6: Using the same or newer version of QuickBooks while restoring the backup
The user can restore a backup to a newer version of QuickBooks desktop, but not to an older one, as the file structure changes between versions.
- The user might restore a backup from QuickBooks desktop 2018 in QuickBooks desktop 2019
- The user need not to restore a backup from QuickBooks desktop 2019 in QuickBooks Desktop 2018
Method 7: Repair the company file
With any file in windows, the company file can be compromised. The user can opt for the resolve data damage on the company file for identifying and resolving data damage.
The Bottom Line
So, you can use the aforementioned methods to fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error. In case, even after following all the steps, the error is not fixed, you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team. Call us at our dedicated helpline number i.e. 1(844tel:+1-844-521-0490)521-0490 and let our experts and certified QB professionals fix the error on your behalf.
Our experts have years of experience and expertise in fixing various QuickBooks errors, so they can assist you in this error as well. Feel free to call us anytime and we will be happy to help you.