For years, QuickBooks Software has become the best choice of all types of business owners. QuickBooks ranks on the top to renders the most excellent services in bookkeeping and maintaining all the business accounts. This software always comes with various new features and many latest versions. Many different versions of QuickBooks are available in the market. You can easily access them. However, it also sometimes suffers from some technical glitches that may hinder its working.
In this post, we will describe one of the errors found in QuickBooks. This error is “QuickBooks multi-User not working“. We will also learn the various causes that are responsible for this error and also the methods to resolve the errors. However to save your time and efforts you can contact to our enterprise support team by dialing toll-free 1-844-521-0490.
You may also read: How to use QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool?
About the Error: QuickBooks Multi-User not working
The QuickBooks users may commonly face this error while working on the multi-user mode of QuickBooks. This error may hinder the performance of the software. There are multiple reasons behind this error like it may also occur when the Multi-User mode is not installed properly and also there is some issue with the QuickBooks hosted version. Many other reasons are given later in this article.
When this error occurs you will see these QuickBooks Errors H101, H303 and H505 if you are trying to work with a company file that is on another system and the system requires an additional installation & setup.
See Also: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
What Causes QuickBooks Multi-User not working error?
There are many causes for this error that are encountered when users operate the QuickBooks multi-user mode:
- When QuickBooks couldn’t get the IP address for the system
- The ‘Anti-virus‘ software is not allowing access to the system where you have the company file saved.
- Windows firewall is blocking the communication between the systems.
- There is ‘.ND file’ is damaged or is incorrect.
- Some issues with hosting configuration settings.
- QuickBooks database server manager is not installed.
- The permissions to open Windows files are not properly set.
- When QuickBooksDBXX service has not started.
- There is incorrect configuration of hosting settings.
Important Points to Remember
Before you start with the fixation process, make sure that you consider the below listed points:
- Install the QuickBooks Database server manager
- Follow all the prerequisites before following the solutions
- Don’t forget to install the same server manager as the QuickBooks version
Best ways to solve ‘QuickBooks Multi-User Mode not working’ error
There are many solutions to fix the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem and these are given below:
Solution 1: Configure the Default Setting
The very first method is to configure the default setting. This can fix the multi user mode not working error up to a great extent. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to open QuickBooks and then click on ‘Files‘.
- And then click on ‘Utilities‘ and then choose the option ‘Host Multi-user Access‘.
- Then, add the desired number of users with the company file
- Now, the user is supposed to click ‘Cancel‘ if the multi-user mode is already enabled then you will be asked to disable it.
- Towards the end, create different login credentials for different users and the setup is complete to be used.
Solution 2: Reinstall the QuickBooks software
Another method to resolve this issue to reinstall the QuickBooks software. The steps involved are:
- Initially, the user needs to click on ‘Start‘ and go to the ‘Control Panel‘.
- Followed by, finding QuickBooks from ‘Program and Features‘.
You may also like: How to Access QuickBooks Remotely (QuickBooks Remote Access)?
- The next step is to click on QuickBooks and perform the un-installation process.
- After it’s done, go to the official website of Intuit and download the required version of QuickBooks.
- At the end of the process, the user needs to click on the ‘Multi-user mode hosting‘ and switch to it.
Solution 3: Disable the Host mode on the systems
If the above method doesn’t work in fixing the issue, the user can disable the host mode on the systems. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to login as system admin in the software.
- And then move to ‘File Menu‘ and Open ‘Utilities‘.
- If you are already accessing Multi-User hosting then, turn off the hosting.
- Lastly, ensure that hosting mode is off in all the systems.
You may also like: How to Convert Data File From QuickBooks Online to Desktop?
Solution 4: Check whether QuickBooks services are running properly
The user can check if QuickBooks services are running properly or not, as many times this can be the cause behind the multi user mode not working error. The steps to be followed here are:
- In this method, the user is first required to search for ‘Services.msc‘ and hit Enter.
- QuickBooksDBXX service will appear in the Services window.
- After that, the user needs to double-click ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ service. Check the value under the startup type should be Automatic. Service commenced should show Running or Start.
- Now, under the ‘Recovery‘ tab, choose to restart the ‘QuickBooksDBXX service‘ for the first, second and following failures.
- Also, repeat the above-mentioned steps from 1 to 4 for the ‘QBCFMonitorService‘.
- Finally start the software in multi-user mode.
Solution 5: Add your server to the ‘Windows hosts file’
Adding the server to the windows hosts file can also be a method to fix the issue. The steps to resolve the issue are as follows:
- Firstly, you need to open the ‘Windows hosts file‘.
- After that insert an input point after the last IP address listed and satiate in the server’s IP address.
- Next, hit a click on ‘Tab key‘ and satiate in the server name.
- Go to the File menu > the select the Save option.
- Choose the ‘EXIT’ option form the same menu.
- Finally try to open the company file.
Solution 6: Create a new folder for the company file
If the above methods didn’t work for you, then you need to create a new folder for the company file. The steps to be followed here are:
- First of all you need to produce a new shared folder in the host .
- After that create the access permissions.
- Replicate the ‘.qbw file’ to the newly created folder.
- After that ‘Rescan’ the folder that has your company file.
- Now try to open the company file.
Read this also: Fix QuickBooks is unable to send your emails to outlook
Solution 7: Open the Network Ports that is using the transmit data
If you are still facing the issue then open the network ports that is using the transmit data. The steps to open the network ports are as follows:
- If the ‘Windows Firewall‘ is enabled, then add exceptions to windows firewall exceptions list.
- After that you need to configure the other firewall or antivirus software to enable these ports.
Solution 8: Using QuickBooks File doctor tool
If none of the methods work in your favor, then you can simply opt for the QuickBooks file doctor tool. This tool can be downloaded from the official intuit website. Once the tool will get installed it will automatically diagnose and fix the QB related bugs.
Solution 9: Ensure that QuickBooks is able to send data
This solution is a two step process:
- Changing firewall settings- In case the firewall is blocking the multi-user access, then the user is supposed to manually set up exceptions in the firewall for ports that QuickBooks software uses for transmitting the data.
- Carry out the file path testing, in order to check, if the software is able to communicate with the server- For this, the user needs to carry out the steps below:
- The user needs to enter ping (servername) in the run command, followed by hitting Enter.
- After that, use the universal naming convention path from the system, to go to the shared folder in the server.
- Lastly, the user will have to visit the QuickBooks company file, and ensure to use the UNC path.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
Solution 10: Rename the .QBW.TLG and the .QBW.ND
The last method that one can opt for is to rename the .QBW.TLG and the .QBW.ND. The steps to be followed here are as follows:
Read this also: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
- In this process, the user needs to open the ‘QuickBooks desktop company file‘
- And then press the ‘F2 key‘
- In the next step, the user will see the ‘product information window‘. And then, under the ‘file information‘ option, the company file can be located. the .TLG and .QBW.ND files can be detected in the same folder
- The last step is to right click the ‘files‘ and ‘rename‘ them.
With reference to the following above steps and procedures, we hope that users will easily manage to solve the error: ‘QuickBooks multi-user mode is not working‘. This post provides you the perfect procedure to solve the error. This article clearly makes you aware of all the causes that can be responsible for this error.
Here, we are winding up this article with a faith that you will show trust in QuickBooks and will follow the solutions given in this post. If you anytime face any query, Contact us on +1-844-521-0490 and get connected to our QuickBooks enterprise technical support experts.
You might also like: