Do you know why QuickBooks is the most preferred accounting software? The reason is the number of features and functionalities it offers and also the tools it gives access to, in order to deal with errors that come across when performing any sort of activities on the software. One such tool is the QuickBooks file doctor tool. Learn more about this tool by going through this article. Or for more details, contact our team at 1-844-521-0490.
You may also read: How to use QuickBooks remote access?
What is QuickBooks File Doctor?
With QuickBooks file doctor tool, the user need not to worry about the damaged or corrupted company files or networks anymore. QuickBooks File Doctor is designed and developed in a way to diagnose and repair bugs that hinders the smooth working of the QB accounting software. QBFD is a simple file repairing tool that allows the users to fix the type of file and data corruption, network diagnosis, windows problem and many others.
With the help of this file doctor tool, the users can fix many of the issues that they face while opening a company file, completely damaged company files, network errors (like Error H101, H202, H303, H505, etc.), and error code -6000 (QB Error -6000, -82, QB Error -6000, -305, QB Error -6147, etc.). This tool was launched in the year 2012 by Intuit. Before this particular tool, Intuit has two different programs to solve different issues, namely the QuickBooks company file diagnostic tool and the QuickBooks network connectivity diagnostic tool. These two tool were combined in one program that is the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
This tool is built-in to 2014 R5 and later versions, but internal file doctor only helps the user in resolving data regarding issues, apart from that it will not help the user to access company file issues or getting any type of issues.
You can download, install and run QuickBooks File Doctor to get rid of data damage in your software.
Read Also: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error Code 6209?
When to use QuickBooks file doctor tool?
You can make the best use of the file doctor tool for resolving the following critical company file errors.
|Unable to open company file||Error -6150|
|Error 6000 -82||QuickBooks Error -6000 -305|
|QuickBooks Error -6000 -301||Error code -6147|
|QuickBooks Error -6130 or 6150||Missed or blank lists for customer, vendor or employees|
|Damaged company file|
Advantages of using QuickBooks file doctor tool
- The QuickBooks file doctor tool can be really helpful in fixing the network issues.
- The victims of QuickBooks errors like -6000 series can make the best use of file doctor tool.
- Another benefit of this tool is that it allows the users to fix the errors like H101, H202, H303, or H505.
- In case the user has lost some important data, then file doctor tool can be of much help to them.
- If the user is trying to access the company file in one system, that is stored in another system, then QBFD can work in such cases.
- In the situation when the data is about to get damaged, QuickBooks file doctor tool can be a savior.
Important things about QuickBooks File Doctor tool
These are some important things to know about QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- You must uninstall the existing QBFD before downloading the latest version.
- Since all QB versions post 2015 come with an inbuilt File Doctor, it’s recommended to use external file doctor tool.
- QBFD is compatible is with all QuickBooks desktops for windows versions.
- QBFD doesn’t work with QuickBooks for MAC.
- There are two types of File Doctor tool:
- Built-in file doctor (available in all QuickBooks 2016 and later versions).
- QuickBooks File Doctor stand-alone version (can be downloaded from the internet).
- QBFD may appear on its own in case of a few errors. Just click the Start button and allow the tool to do its job. In case file doctor doesn’t show up automatically you use the below-mentioned guide
How compatible is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later, QuickBooks file doctor tool has become QuickBooks built-in tool. File doctor tool works well with all the QuickBooks desktop for Windows version.
- It should be noted that QBFD tool is not compatible with any version of QuickBooks for MAC.
You may also like: How to Resolve the QuickBooks Error 6190 816?
Types of QuickBooks file doctor tool
Talking about the types of QuickBooks file doctor tool, they are basically classified into two major categories namely:
- QuickBooks Built-in file doctor, which is available for QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later.
- The second one is QuickBooks file doctor stand alone version. It is used from the server where only the QuickBooks database server manager component is installed.
- Network diagnosis and repair- Using the admin login in windows
- QB file repair- It is not mandatory for installing on the system
- Multi-user repair and diagnosis- Verifying that QuickBooks hosting is in ON mode
Steps to Use QuickBooks File Doctor (Stand-Alone version)
- For this, the user needs to have the latest version of File Doctor or simply uninstall the existing one and install the latest version.
- Download QB File Doctor from Intuit’s official site or just click run (if you have that already installed).
- Double click on QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and just follow the instructions on the screen and complete the installation process. Once the tool is installed and still is not showing up on the screen, open it using the Windows Task-bar or hitting twice on the icon.
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Crash com error while Mailing Invoices?
- Now use the drop-down list to find your company file, or you can click on browse option to manually locate it on your hard drive.
- After that choose Check file damage only option and hit a click on Diagnose file to apply the basic fix. Start the QB File diagnostics to fix any error you face while using the accounting software.
- The File Doctor Tool Window will offer you two options to choose from. Choose the one that’s appropriate for your issue. Both the options are self-explanatory.
- If you have received -6000 series error or you think that your company file is damaged, you can select the first option.
- If you have Network problems (Error H101, Error H202, Error H303 or Error H505), select second option.
- After that, the user is required to type in Company File Admin Password when prompted and click Next.
- Next, choose from the two options to continue diagnosing and fixing the error.
- Select the Workstation option if you are operating diagnosis and troubleshooting on a client’s computer. It means that the QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on that computer.
- Pick the second option, i.e. Server in case you are diagnosing and troubleshooting issues on a QuickBooks client computer, which means the QB company file isn’t stored or hosted that computer.
- Now, select Yes if you are working on QuickBooks Server / Host and No if on the QB Workstation.
- In the next step, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will start repairing the company files. The user needs to have some patience, as this might take few minutes.
- Wait until QBFD is done diagnosing and fixing any possible error. The time taken in the process may vary due to the size of the QuickBooks Company File, Local Area Network Speed and the severity of the issues with the company File. You must not disrupt the process in between.
- Once the repairing process is over, you will get a success message. Now finally close QBFD tool.
- Despite the result of the repair process, open your company file.
Related article: What is QuickBooks Connection diagnostic tool?
Basic information about the built-in QuickBooks file doctor
- This version works for US, CA, and UK versions of QuickBooks
- It usually used for the file and data repair. QuickBooks doesn’t need to be installed on the system
- QBFD is used for network and diagnosis repair. Or QuickBooks must be installed on the desktop running the internal file doctor
- It supports windows 10, windows 8, windows 7, and server 2003-2012
- In case the .NET framework 2.0 is not presented on the desktop, then QBFD will install it through with the diagnostic tool
How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor (Built-in)?
Built-in in or internal QB File Doctor identifies the error and launches troubleshooting automatically. Once the QBFD window opens, click Start option and the tool will start operating to fix the issues. The remaining selections will be similar to the above-mentioned stand-alone File Doctor instructions.
- Do not open the company file and open QuickBooks desktop.
- Go to the File Menu.
- Select Utilities option.
- Click on Repair File and Network Problems to launch QB File Doctor.
- Now hit a click on Browse and select the company file that needs diagnosis and Repair and clicks Open.
- Under the Show Advanced Settings drop-down menu, select the type of fix you want your file to undergo and Next.
- Enter the Admin ID and password for the company file when asked and select Next.
- Open the QuickBooks company file after the diagnosis and repairing process is complete.
Related article: How to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks?
1. QBFD didn’t find a problem:
The very first case can be, when the QBFD is unable to detect the problem. In such case, the user is required to log in back to the company file and if the error continues, then begin with the Auto data recovery setup and enter the transactions since the last backup.
2. QBFD did find a problem and was able to resolve it:
Well, if the tool was successful in finding out the problem and also fixing it, then it is actually a good news. After that, the user is required to just click on the Open new company option, when the process finishes.
3. QBFD found the problem but unable to fix it:
In this case also, the QuickBooks software will recommend Auto Data Recovery Setup and entering the transactions manually from the last backup or upload the file.
Limitations of QuickBooks File doctor tool
There can be certain limitations of QuickBooks file doctor tool, which we have enlisted below:
- The user needs to have an internet connection and must be connected to the work process, for file uploading and manual repair
- Or the company file should not exceed more than 2GB
- The user needs to follow the admin panel to run the network diagnosis and QuickBooks needs to be in the hosting mode
- The file doctor tool is only available for the US and UK version
- When the windows user account control is ON, the file doctor tool will re-launch with elevated admin privileges
- The user needs to use the QuickBooks file doctor tool only when the user is unable to access the company file
By the end of the article, we expect the user to successfully download and make the most out of the file doctor tool in QuickBooks. However, if you are stuck at any point of time, then feel free to reach out to our experts at 1(844)521-0490. We are a team of technically sound experts who work round the clock to provide instant support services.
Other helpful tools