Learn the best ways to recover QuickBooks error H505 like a Pro:
QuickBooks error code H505 has become the most common error which largely occurs when you’re trying to access the company files which can be found on another computer and you would be getting this error.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
In the blog post, today we are going to discuss about the possible causes as well as solution methods for QuickBooks Error H505. You need to follow these instructions to resolve multi-user error H505 by yourself.
Things to Remember:
- Ensure that your QuickBooks software Installed on your computer correctly.
- It can be a full QB desktop version with database or license manager hosting only.
- It’s important to install QuickBooks application on the server because without it you are completely not able to use multi-user mode.
- Visit on QuickBooks official website to download QuickBooks.
Follow the instruction for your server computer system. To run the QuickBooks File doctor tool in your system, ensure that you need to sign into the host server as the system administrator user.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error Code H505
Here are some of the potential reasons why these error codes arise:-
- Incorrect hosting configuration setting.
- When a system Firewall setting obstructing to get company files or it is blocking incoming and outgoing communication.
- Damaged or incorrect .ND files configuration that enable QB to access company files in a community.
- QuickBooks database server manager unable to locate IP address of host computer or using different IP address.
- When the setting of DNS is incorrect.
- QuickBooks services like QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF aren’t started.
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error H505
There are certain signs and symptoms that can help the users to identify the error. A few of which includes:
- QuickBooks error H505 occurred and crashed the active program window
- If the laptop crashes while using the same program
- Another sign of the same can be that the error itself appeared on the screen
- The windows function sluggishly and respond slowly to the mouse inputs
- System freezes periodically for many seconds
Quick steps to before proceeding to the fixation methods:
- Create a Company File Backup
- Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Run Quick Fix my Program in QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Configure your Firewall Settings
Troubleshooting of QuickBooks Error Code H505
There can be more than one methods to resolve the QuickBooks error H505. Checkout the methods with you can manually resolve the error-
Method 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
QuickBooks file doctor tool can be used to resolve multiple server problems that occurs in company file.
- Firstly, Check that the QuickBooks is Installed on your Server Computer.
- Download, Install and run the QuickBooks file doctor on the server. It frees up the H- series & multi-user error.
In the event you see this error, follow the following solution.
Note: Ensure that QuickBooks is Installed on your Server Computer
You may also read: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Method 2: Verify hosting and services
Important: You need to follow these steps on each hosting system.
Step 1: Verify the hosting on server
- First of all, on every hosting system, open QuickBooks and go to the “File” menu => “Utilities” icon.
- And then, click on Host Multi-User Access on the listing, this computer is not hosting the file. Proceed to another laptop. Remember don’t change anything.
- In case, you see the ‘Stop Hosting Multi-User Access’ icon then, select it.
- At the end, in the Company, File Must Be Closed window, click on the “Yes” icon.
Step 2: Verify the QuickBooks Services on your server
- In order to verify the QuickBooks services, the user needs to ensure that QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor Service are started.
- Click on the “Windows” or “Start” button.
- Press the “Windows+R” keys to bring up the run box.
- In run box, type/enter ‘services.msc’ and then, press the “Enter” button.
- Service window: scroll down and existence for QuickBooksDBXX service.
- If not able to visit QuickBooksDBXX Service:
- Using the Database Server Manager, then affirm the Database Server Manager also installed on the server
- If you conduct the complete app on the machine, start QuickBooks, choose and confirm that hosting is enabled.
- Select Automatic for the Startup Type.
- Double-click about the QuickBooksDBXX service and affirm that the Startup Type is and service standing is started.
- Click on the “Recovery” icon
- After that choose the “Restart the Service” option from each of these drop-down menus:
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failures
- Open computer system menu selects restart, and this will automatically restart the QuickBooksDB service when it fails. Do the same.
- Now choose “Apply” and “OK” button to save the changes.
- Replay the above all steps for QBCFMonitor Service
- At the end of this process, the user is supposed to open QuickBooks in the multi-user mode on each workstation.
Method 3: Integrate the Server to the Windows Server file
If the above methods failed to fix the issue for you, then you can integrate the server to the windows server file. Editing the Windows hosts file can work in rectifying the issue up to certain extent.
Method 4: Create a new folder to your company file and discuss it by enabling access to discuss company files
Creating a new folder to the company file and discussing it by enabling access can help the user to fix the error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Create a new folder, in the hosting computer.
- Now share the create folder and set windows to get entry to permissions to share company files.
- Now copy the .qbw file into the new folder.
- Finally, Open your company files in multi-user mode.
Read Also: How to merge vendors in QuickBooks?
Solution 5: Configure your firewall ports settings
Important: Generally, the QuickBooks File Doctor tool usually opens your firewall ports and configure them automatically. In case your problem is not solved then you can follow the below steps:
- First of all, Open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows+R keys together.
- After that open the Control panel through Run command.
- Choose System and Security option and open Windows Defender Firewall
- Now hit a click on Advanced Settings
- Hit a click on Inbound Rule and then choose New Rule
- Select the Port and hit click on Next
- Make sure that you have selected the TCP option here.
- You need to enter the Port for your QuickBooks year version.
QuickBooks Desktop ports for version
2020: 8019, XXXXX.
2019: 8019, XXXXX.
2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
Note: QuickBooks desktop 2019 and later versions mainly uses dynamic ports at the time of installation and on the other side QuickBooks 2018 and older version use static ports.
To find the QuickBooks dynamic ports
- Firstly ,click on Start button and search QuickBooks Database Server Manager and press Enter key.
- After that click on Port Monitor tab
- Here you can see the Port Number for your QuickBooks version
- Copy the Port number, you can use it at the time of the firewall configuration
Solution 6: Edit the Host File
Step 1: Find the IP address and computer name of the server and workstation
- The very first step is to hold “Windows + R” to open the “Run dialog box“.
- After that, the user will have to type “cmd” and then hit “Enter” to open Command prompt window.
- The next step is to type “ipconfig / all” and then hit “Enter” to run the following command.
- The last step is to write down the “Hostname and IP Address” somewhere. The user needs to repeat the procedure for all the computers having multi-user setup.
Step 2: Edit the Windows hosts file
After that edit the windows hosts file:
- The user is supposed to “Shut down QuickBooks” and move to the “start menu“.
- After that, the user needs to go to the PC and follow the path “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc“.
- If the user is unable to find the “Windows folder” in the system. The user needs to follow the steps to see the hidden files and folders.
- To see the hidden files, the user needs to click on the “view tab” and then click on “Hidden items“.
- After that, the user will have to right click on the “Hosts file” and then select “Open with“, open it with Notepad.
- The next step in the process is to fill in the “IP address and Computer Name“. While entering the details, the user needs to use the “Tab key” rather than the spacebar to enter space between the IP address and system name. See the image below:
- The last step in the process is to “Save changes” and then “reopen QuickBooks in multi-user mode“.
Related article: How to open qbw file without QuickBooks?
We expect that after reading this post can help the user in tackling the QuickBooks error H505. However, if you are looking for instant support to fix this error, you can contact with the QuickBooks experts at their toll-free number i.e. 1(844)521-0490. We hope that this article would be a stress reliever for you to get rid from the QuickBooks related errors.
More helpful articles: