Comprehensive guide to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error code -6177, 0
In the recent times, a majority of the QB users have reported QuickBooks error code 6177, 0. At the time when the user encounters this error, an error message pops-up on the screen stating “QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file”. This error message and error code basically means that the QuickBooks couldn’t use the path to the company file. The error code 6177, 0 is usually seen when the user uses the QB accounting software in multi-user mode. The user might require rebooting the system and updating the software to the latest version to avoid this kind of error.
You might see the following error message on your desktop screen:
QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file. Before you can open the company file from your computer you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0)
Tackling this error might seem to be a daunting to many QB users, and keeping this in mind we have come up with this article. In this article, we will be talking about the causes and quick fixes to the QuickBooks error code 6177, 0. Another solution to get rid of the error can be to consult our QuickBooks enterprise support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1(844)521-0490. Our team members and experts will ensure to provide you with the finest possible solution to get rid of this error.
You might also like: How to solve QuickBooks Error 176109?
What is QuickBooks error 6177, 0?
QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 can be seen on the screen when the user makes an attempt to access the company file. This kind of issue can be seen, when the company file is located on a server system and the user is trying to access the file locally. Networking issues, corrupted facts documents, outdated version of the software, installation failure of the software, and a few other reasons can be some causes of this error.
Why QuickBooks error 6177, 0 occurs?
Error Code -6177, 0 generally occurs when QuickBooks application tries to use the path to open/access any company file but unable to do so. This error can also affect the payroll distribution & accounting process with the firm. Despite of using some other device to open the company file, you must use the device (server) where the QuickBooks located to access/open the company file. Another possible reasons behind to this error:
- Trojan attack
- File path or file gets corrupted
- Removing QuickBooks related system support files unknowingly
- Also when the company file is moved from one system to the other
- QuickBooks can’t use the right way to open any company file
Read also: How to Use QuickBooks Component Repair Tool?
Methods to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177, 0
There can be more than one methods to get rid of from QuickBooks error 6177, 0. We have listed below some of the most effective ones, let us check them out:
Condition 1: If you have the full version of QuickBooks on your server
Method 1: Updating QuickBooks desktop to latest
Updating QuickBooks desktop to the latest available version is quite important, in order to maintain the compatibility with the operating system, and also avoid various bugs that might hinder the way otherwise. Every new version of QuickBooks brings in various solutions to certain errors and also some really amazing features. The user can either update the software manually or automatically, depending upon the situation. Thus, it is recommended to update QuickBooks desktop always to its latest version.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 6189?
Method 2: Updating the file location
Keeping company file on server, or on an external hard drive, or cloud, requires change in the location. The following steps can be used to move to the local drive and then back to where it was.
Step 1: Moving company file
Note: The point to be noted here is that, the user should perform the below stated steps on the server computer. In case the user is not having the access to the same, then it is not a big deal. The following steps can also be carried out on one of the workstations as well.
- The basic step is to open the windows start menu on either the server computer or workstation.
- Once done with that, the user is required to type in File explorer in the search bar, followed by opening the file explorer.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to look for and open the QuickBooks folder. The user can also press F2, while QuickBooks is open to get the location.
- Now, look for the company file that ends with QBW. This should seem company file name .qbw.
- The next step is to write down the drive name and the location. After which, put the file back here later on. Such as:
- The last step in the process is to move to the company file from the folder to the C: drive and then move the file and not the entire folder.
Step 2: Crafting a portable company file and restore it to the server
It should be noted that company file is now on the local drive, and now the user can create a portable company file.
- The very first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the system on which you have moved your company file.
- The next step is to Select the open or restore an existing company option.
- Now, the user is required to browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive.
- Once done with that, create a portable company file. This step helps the user to create a portable version of the company file that also resets the file location data.
- The user is then required to select the file menu and then select the Quit QuickBooks option. After that, the user is supposed to reopen QuickBooks.
- Moving ahead, the user should visit the file menu and then select open or restore company.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to choose the restore a portable file and hit next.
- The next step in the process is to look for the portable company file that you created earlier and then open the same and tap on next.
- The user can select the drive the user originally moved the company file from, for restore location.
- Now, the user should select save and this keeps the company file back on the network.
- The last and final step is to select the file menu and choose Quit QuickBooks.
Method 3: Moving the company file to the local hard drive
- The very first step is to navigate to the company file from server to the C drive.
- After that, open the Company File in the QuickBooks software from C drive.
- The next step is to make an easily portable file, followed by saving it to the company file to the local C drive.
- Now, the user should close the company file.
- And then, restore the portable file from the C drive and then save the same to the server.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to select the company file.
- And make an attempt to open the file from the server.
Method 4: Manually fixing the file path
Another method to resolve this QuickBooks error 6177, 0 is to manually fix the file path. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
Step 1: Find .ND file
- First of all, the user is required to open the file explorer on the server computer and then look for the QuickBooks folder.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to find the file with the company name and the .ND at the end.
- The last step is to right- click the ND file and hit delete. It should be noted that this step wouldn’t affect the accounting data.
Step 2: Configure QuickBooks database server manager
- To begin with, if you haven’t downloaded and installed QuickBooks database server manager, then do it now.
- After that open the Windows start menu on the server computer and then type database into the search option, followed by opening the QuickBooks database server manager.
- The next step in the process is to select the QuickBooks folder that holds the company files.
- And then, select the Start scan option.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to opt for the close option once the scanning process comes to an end.
- The user is also supposed to the folder permissions to share the company files.
Method 5: Download and run QuickBooks file doctor tool
Downloading and running QuickBooks file doctor tool can also be one of the solutions to get rid of QuickBooks error code 6177, 0. Among the plethora of tools available to fix the bugs, QBFD tool is the only tool that will help in detecting and fixing the error automatically. If this fixes your issue, ensure that you need to back up your company file.
Read Also: How to use QuickBooks conversion tool?
Condition 2: In case the user is having full version of QuickBooks on the server
In case the user is having the full version QuickBooks desktop installed on the server system, the steps below can be used:
Method 1: Resetting multi-user hosting
- Firstly open the QuickBooks server system
- And then select the file menu and hover over the utilities
- Choose stop hosting multi user access and hit yes
- Select the file menu and then select quit QuickBooks.
- After that reopen the QuickBooks, but do not open the company file
- Followed by selecting the file menu and then hover over utilities
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select host multi user access and hit yes
- The last step is to select file menu and select quit QuickBooks
You may also like: Troubleshooting Steps for QuickBooks Error C=1304
Method 2: Moving the company file to the server’s local hard drive
- For this, the user needs to open windows start menu
- And type in file explorer
- Open QuickBooks and press F2 key
- Find the company file with .qbw extension
- Write the drive name and location
- Drag the company file from the folder to the server’s C drive
Method 3: Create a portable file
- The first step in this process is to open QuickBooks
- After that Select the open or restore an existing company
- And then look for and open the company file
- Create a portable file and select the file menu
- Lastly, select Quit QuickBooks
Read it also: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error Code 15215?
Method 4: Create a new folder for QuickBooks desktop
- Open file explorer and search QuickBooks folder
- Create a new folder on the local C: drive
- Copy everything into it and move to the next step
Method 5: Reopen your QuickBooks desktop
- For this open QuickBooks
- Select the open or restore an existing company
- And then choose open a company file and hit next
- End it by opening the portable company file, which was moved to the new folder
Read also: How to resolve QuickBooks error code H505?
Fixing QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 might seem to be a daunting task to QB users, but after going through the above stated methods, it might get easy to do away this type of error. However, if the error continues to trouble the user, then consulting an expert is always recommended. Speaking to our QuickBooks support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490 might work well for the users.
We are a team of experts and certified intuit certified accounting professionals who provide support in case of all error codes, issues, and technical glitches. Thus, feel free to speak to our support team, we will be happy to help you!
You might also like: