Rectifying QuickBooks Error -6189, 816 while trying to access the company file:
QuickBooks is the foremost accounting solution among the wide range of business. This software enables the user to fill the information in the recurring bills, such as due dates & payment details. Moreover, it comes with a highly user-friendly interface, which makes it easy to handle for for the users perfectly. But in certain conditions this application can also become vulnerable to errors and technical glitches. One such technical snag is QuickBooks error 6189, 816. This error code belongs to the 6000 error series and is one of the most common errors one can stumble upon.
This error is often related to the company file and can trouble the user at large. Tackling this error becomes easy with this post, as we are going to discuss the quick fixes to the error code -6189, 816. Thus, make sure to read this post till the end. Moreover, you can contact our technical support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490. And you can ask our experts and certified professionals to fix the error for you.
Read Also: How to Fix script error in QuickBooks?
What is QuickBooks Error -6189, 816
-6000 error series is one of a most critical error series associated with the company file that could appear within the QuickBooks. When the user tries to open/access/create the company file, it leads to the QuickBooks error code 6189. It might be possible that some other code may pop up on the system due to the same reason.
You may see the following error message on your screen:
“An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),”
If you are facing this error the don’t worry, we are here to help you. This error means there’s an issue with your multi-user network, not your accounting data.
Some of those error codes are:-
|QuickBooks Error -6150, -1006||Error -6138, -1005||Error -6135, -1005|
|QuickBooks Error 6073||QB Error -6000, -301||Error -6199, 816, -85|
Reasons behind the QuickBooks Error 6189, 816
- Missing or lost transaction log file (.tlg)
- Damaged, distorted, or corrupt QB company file
- Insufficient or inadequate permission for the Windows user account and QBDataServicesUserXX
- Using old and outdated QuickBooks version to open/access a company file. In order to resolve this error code in such circumstances, you suppose to upgrade the QuickBooks to the latest released version.
You may also read: Fix QuickBooks com error crash while mailing invoices
How to fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
This error code usually appears in front of the users that don’t update their QuickBooks version timely. Hence, if you are need instant solution and want to get rid from QuickBooks error code -6189, 816 then you should update the QuickBooks to the latest released version. Later, you can easily use and open the desired company file.
Checkout the Infographic and find out easy ways to fix the error:
In case, if the error still persists even after updating QuickBooks..! In such situation, we recommend you to pursue with the 3 manual solutions given below.
You may also like: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Intuit Inc. recently launched the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to manually fix the company file issues. By using this feature, you can effortlessly remove all the problems associated with the company file. To install this feature, go to the Intuit official website and complete the installation process. Once it’s done with the installation, it will automatically detect and diagnose the issues within the company files.
Solution 2: Download and run the QB Refresher tool
You need to Download and run the QBRefresher tool on your computer system on which the problem is running on. The QBRefresher tool will close all the background running programs that might be the reason for the error.
Download the QBRefresher tool from here.
- First of all choose the button over to download and install the QBRefresher installation file.
- Now save the file someplace you can easily discover it,
- Finish your work if you’re presently working in your QuickBooks.
- Now close all versions of QuickBooks Desktop that are running on your computer system.
- Now run the QBRefresher.exe file by double clicking on it.
- Follow the on-screen guidelines.
- You should run the QBRefresher tool for about 30 seconds.
- Open your QuickBooks once more time once the QBRefresher is finished.
Solution 3: Execute Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Firstly close your QuickBooks.
- After that download QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit website.
- You need to save this file on your system.
- Once the download finish open the downloaded file named as QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Now Install and agree to the terms and conditions by following the on-screen commands.
- Open and run the tool hub by clicking on the QuickBooks tool hub icon.
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, choose Program Problems.
- After that choose Quick Fix my Program tab.
- Finally, start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Solution 4: Run QuickBooks database server manager
- From the QuickBooks tool hub select the network issues
- And then, choose the QuickBooks database server manager. The user will be asked to install QuickBooks on the server, if not already installed.
- The next step is to select the Start scan option, if you are able to find the company files. The user can also browse to the location of the company file and then select start scan
- Moving ahead, the QuickBooks server manager will repair the firewall permissions automatically. When the scan completes, select close option
- And open the QuickBooks desktop on the server
It should be noted that, if the QuickBooks database server manager is installed on one of your workstations, the user needs to ensure that it isn’t set to host the multi-user network.
See Also: What is QuickBooks web connector?
Solution 5: Manually Fix the QB Error -6189, 816, XX (series error codes)
- Search out the transaction log (.tlg) file & Rename it.
- Verify the user permission endowed to QBDataServiceUserXX for the QuickBooks application.
- Confirm that the QuickBooks files are not encrypted.
- Create a replica of the QB file and paste it on the desktop.
- In case, the file still can’t open then move to the folder where it was allocated earlier.
Solution 6: Moving the company files to the local hard drive
In case the user identifies the QuickBooks error 6189 816 and the company file is stored on a removable drive or online, then it is very much important to move the company files to the local hard drive.
- Make sure to store QuickBooks files, including the company file on the server system’s hard drive. Online file hosting might seem convenient, but may also lead to certain issues.
- Do not store the files on removable or external drives. The point here to be noted is that the external hard drives, USB flash drives, and network attached storage devices aren’t designed for running QuickBooks or multi-user networks
- Also, the user needs to avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files or the hard drive storing them. This can block the multi-user network connection.
See Also: Steps to resolve QuickBooks Error 9999
Technical assistance for the QuickBooks company file problems
Use the above shown steps to fix the QuickBooks Error code 6189, 816..! If the problem pertains and you need immediate help for it – you can speak with the QuickBooks enterprise support at their toll-free helpline number i.e. 1(844)521-0490.