Are you interested in finding out the right procedures to fix QuickBooks error code 1646? If yes, then reading this post till the end will surely work. This error can be seen when installing quickbooks.msi uninstall of the update package is not supported, when trying to open on a system that is having QuickBooks desktop pro of the same year already installed.
The user can also face similar issue when installing QuickBooks accountant on a system that already has a premier version installed that too of the same year. The error can be seen due to a handful of factors, which we will be explaining later in this article. To know more about this error and its fixes, make sure to read the article carefully till the end. Or contact us at 1(844)521-0490, and our experts will provide the user with immediate assistance.
Signs of QuickBooks error code 1646
The signs of QuickBooks error code 1646 are as follows:
- If the user is making use of an outdated version of OS.
- Damaged Microsoft C++ and MSXML components
- Another sign can be if the installation process might not be getting permissions.
- The company file is locked can be another reason
- In case the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer is installed inappropriately.
Steps to fix the QuickBooks error code 1646
The user can try performing the below stated set of steps and procedures to fix the QuickBooks error code 1646. Let us have a look:
Step 1: QuickBooks product information
- The very first step is to download the installer for your version of QuickBooks.
- The user should make sure to have the license number handy.
- And note the information
You may also like: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Step 2: Uninstall QuickBooks desktop
- The user should remove QuickBooks by opening the Start menu and then looking for Control panel and opening the same.
- After that select programs and features or uninstall a program.
- The user should then choose the version of QuickBooks desktop you are having issues with.
- After that select the uninstall or change and then remove and also hit next
Step 3: Change the name of QuickBooks desktop installation folders manually
The user should manually rename the folders, to reflect the hidden files after that change the name of the folder location. This can be done by adding .Old at the end of the folder names and that’s it. This action will permit the user to avoid QuickBooks from recognizing the folder at the time when making the new one. Now, move to the last step.
You may like this: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
Step 4: Reinstall QuickBooks desktop
The user should now reinstall QuickBooks
Step 5: Uninstall QuickBooks and manually change the name of the installation folders (Optional)
- The user should first uninstall QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps to display hidden files.
- And then open the windows start menu
- The user should look for “File explorer” and open the same.
- After that open the folder that holds QuickBooks company files.
- This will be the QuickBooks folder in normal cases.
- The user can find this in any of the below mentioned paths:
- C:\Users\(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Once done with that right click on the folder and select rename option.
- Add the word “old” at the end of the folder name.
- This will prevent the QuickBooks software from trying to open it when you reinstall.
- The last step is to re-install QuickBooks desktop.
If the user identifies an access error message, while trying to rename the folder, then the below steps will work:
- Right click the windows task bar, and also select the task manager.
- Move to the processes tab.
- Select name column header to sort the list.
- Choose the following processes and then end process for each: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe
- The user should now choose yes, in case an error message is seen stating “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results..“.
Read Also: Steps to fix QuickBooks error code 6000 83
By the end of the article, we expect that the reader might be able to fix the QuickBooks error code 1646. However, if there is any query, or if the user isn’t able to fix the issue, then contacting our QuickBooks support professionals at 1(844)521-0490 is recommended. We are a team of technically sound QuickBooks professionals who work round the clock to provide best possible support services immediately.
More helpful articles: