QuickBooks is a well-known and largely preferred accounting & bookkeeping solution. With this software, the users can easily carry out their day-to-day business operations on regular interval of time. Being a QuickBooks user, you might be well aware of QuickBooks database server manager, or must have heard about it at least once. Many QuickBooks users find it difficult to install, update, and set up QuickBooks database server manager (QBDSM). Thus, keeping all those facts in mind, we have come up with this article, where we will be learning how to configure the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to permit multi-user access. Not only this, but this article will brief you about installing, updating, and setting up the database server manager. To fulfill the QuickBooks Desktop demands, it is important to as well as recommended to install this tool. This QBDSM tool should be installed on the system in which the QuickBooks Desktop company files have been stored.
Thus, reading this article might help you learn all about QuickBooks database server manager. However, for expert guidance the user can make a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1(844)521-0490, and discuss the issue with our support team. Our team is having years of experience and expertise in handling all sorts of QB related issues.
You might also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Rebuild Not Responding Error?
Brief into QuickBooks database server manager
QuickBooks Database server manager (QBDSM) is a very effective tool offered by Intuit. This tool enables the user to organize applications for multiple users. Database server manager installation is essential, as without this, it is not possible for the user to use multiple version of QuickBooks desktop. Moreover, QuickBooks database server manager enables the user to make optimal usage QuickBooks desktop software and also helps the users to create network data file (.ND) for any company file on the host computer.
In this article, we will brief you about the procedure to configure QuickBooks database server manager (QBDSM) in multi-user mode.
Facts related to QuickBooks database server manager
There are certain facts associated with QuickBooks database server manager, below we have listed a few of them:
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is accountable for generating Network Data documents (*.nd) for almost any provider files saved on the server computer. If the user is making use of a number of versions of QuickBooks Desktop, then in that case the user needs to Install each version of the Database Server Manager.
- Installing multiple versions of Database Server Manager can also provide the user with multiple variations of processes. Many users confuse it with multiple versions of software, which is not right. This tool provides the user with multiple variations of processes and not multiple versions of the software.
- If the user is making use of multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, then setting-up the Database Server Manager for every version in chronological order (from oldest to latest) is a must.
- Another fact associated with QuickBooks database server manager is that the loading the Database Server Manager guarantee that the year’s database service is currently running in the background. In the Windows Services interface (accessible via the Windows Control Panel), these services are listed as QuickBooksDBXX, where XX represents the version number (ex. “29” is for QuickBooks Desktop 2019 and “28” for QuickBooks 2018).
- Lastly, the QB Database Server Manager installed for every QuickBooks variant adds a user (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUser27 for 2017).
Learn how a user can install, update and setup the QuickBooks database server manager with the help of following Infographic:
How to Install QuickBooks database server manager?
Now that you are aware of various facts about QuickBooks database server manager, it is time to unleash the process to install it. There are a list of steps involved in this process, which we will be exploring one by one. Let us have a look:
Step 1: To begin with, the user needs to double-click the installer to the QuickBooks and then start the “Installation Setup Wizard”.
Step 2: After that Select the “Next” option, if the system is on the Internet and equipped to download an upgrade. Otherwise, select the “No” icon, then hit the “Next” tab.
Step 3: And then, shutdown the active application, followed by hitting onto the “Next” icon.
Step 4: After that, the user is supposed to read the terms of the “Software License Agreement“. Later on, select “I accept the terms in the license agreement“, followed by selecting the “Next” tab.
Step 5: The user is then required to opt for the “Custom or Network Options” icon.
Step 6: And then, tap on the setup type:
- Select the ‘I’ll be utilizing QuickBooks on this computer AND I will be saving’… if you will run the QuickBooks program on this computer system.
- Select the ‘I will NOT be using QuickBooks on this computer’… if you’ll just store QuickBooks information on this computer.
Notice: If the user opts for “I won’t be using QuickBooks with this computer…” then, in that case they need not to enter a license number.
You may also like: How to use QuickBooks Condense Repair tool?
Step 7: Now choose the “Yes” icon, and then click allow access.
Step 8: Enter the ‘License Number and Product Number’ (the text at the bottom of the window lets you know where to look for this).
Step 9: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Step 10: Setup the Database Server Manager after it has been installed.
Step 11: You need to Set your firewall permissions.
Step 12: Finally Update Database Server Manager
See this also: How to Fix Common QuickBooks Enterprise Errors?
Steps to download QuickBooks database server manager
The user can try to download the QuickBooks database server manager using the alternate steps listed below:
- The very first step is to download QuickBooks tool hub from Intuit’s website and then head to the downloads tab by pressing Ctrl + J
- And then click on QuickBookstoolshub.exe file
- Now, the user needs to click on yes tab to allow the app to make changes
- Once done with that click on next to install it and also click on yes to accept the license agreement
- After that, click on the next tab and also install tab
- The next step is to click on finish tab
- And also open QuickBooks tool hub icon
- Later on, under the network issues tab select the QuickBooks database server manager tab
How to Update the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)?
Updating the QuickBooks database server manager might be required to due to certain reasons. It should be noted that, when a new version of QuickBooks desktop is installed on the workstations or when the update to a year is released, then in that case it is mandatory for the user to update QuickBooks database server manager. The steps involved in the process of updating database server manager are listed below:
Step 1: First of all, the user needs to download the patch from “Update QuickBooks Desktop to the release“.
Notice: The patch for the host is the same as the patch for the workstation.
Step 2: And then, Reboot the host after the patch setup completes. (This is strongly recommended).
Step 3: The next step in the process is that once the server has been updated, on the workstations, the user would get the following message stating: “The company file has to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop“
Step 4: Moving ahead, the user would get a prompt to “Create a backup” which is required since these updates can modify the database structure.
Step 5: The last and final step in the process is to followed the prompt message and finish the backup process, after which the user will be able to open the company file when you follow the prompt messages after finished the backup.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks update errors?
How to Set-up and Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)?
Just like the upgradation process, there are certain steps to be followed to use, as well as to set-up QuickBooks database server manager. If you are unaware of this process, then follow the steps listed below:
Step 1: First of all, open “QuickBooks database server manager” and then scan the files which to use use for the multi-user access.
Read this also: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Step 2: The next step in the process is to scan the “Company files” on the server, in order to ensure that the files are configured properly to give them access to the multiple users. This step might include further sub-steps:
- The user might be needed to visit the Start button, followed by clicking on All Programs option, as well as on QuickBooks folder.
- Moving ahead, the user might need to tap on Scan folders.
- The next step is to scan folders and verify the folders that contain the QuickBooks company files. In case, the user is unaware of the file location, then he/she can select to Scan the entire disks.
- Also, the user needs to click on the Scan button/Start Scan and start with the scanning process.
- Once all the folders are scanned, the other users will be able to open company files remotely.
Step 3: Now in order to “Add new company files” to the server, the user can make use of “Monitored drivers feature” and keep the database server manager to date.
- Move to the Start button, and then click on the Programs option.
- After that, click on QuickBooks and also on QuickBooks database server manager.
- If the user wants all the local drives to get monitored for the company file, especially the ones that are added, removed, or renamed, then the user is required to click on the select option.
Step 4: The user needs to make sure that the company files are connected to the server and the users are logged into the company files.
Step 5: In case the user wishes to change the “Status of the service “then implement the “Service administrator tool” and configure the service.
Step 6: The final step in this process is to use the “Updates features” tab and then download the recent updates to the QuickBooks server.
- For this, the user needs to hit Start button, followed by clicking on the Program option.
- Once done with that, the user would be required to click on QuickBooks and also on QB database manager.
- Coming to the next step, opt for updates.
- And then, install updates by following the instructions.
QuickBooks Desktop 2022 currently uses dynamic ports! These are specific port numbers (not an array) assigned during installation to ensure QuickBooks Desktop uses a given port entirely. You’ll get these numbers in QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
QuickBooks database server manager tool can:
- Scan the folders and QuickBooks company files. This is an essential aspect for multi-user access.
- This tool examines the local storage devices to detect a new company file on its own.
Read this also: How to delete a deposit fund in QuickBooks?
Steps to Configure the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The user can configure the database server manager, in case he/she doesn’t want to make use of the default settings. The steps to be followed are:
- The very first step is to open the windows start menu
- And then, type in services option into the search bar and then open it
- After that, look for and open QuickBooksDBXX (XX is the version number)
- Followed by navigating to the general tab and then finding the service status section. In case it is started or are running, then select stop
- The next step is to select the automatic option from the startup type drop down menu
- And then logon tab, and choose the local system account option
- Moving ahead, the user needs to navigate to the recovery tab and then select the restart the service option from each of these drop down menus: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures
- The last step is to go back to the general tab and then choose start to restart the database server manager
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15241?
To conclude the article, we would recommend the QuickBooks users to follow the steps mentioned above to install, update, set up, and use QuickBooks database server manager. In case, the user is facing any problem associated with the database server manager – the user can freely contact the QuickBooks enterprise support experts at their toll-free helpline number i.e. +1-844-521-0490. Our team of QB experts and certified professionals will help the users to deal with any kind of issue associated with QuickBooks.
People also searched for:
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: When is QuickBooks database server manager required?
Ans: QuickBooks database server manager creates the Network data file for each of the company file that is stored on the workstation. Also, it is required when the user is using multiple versions of the QuickBooks software.
Question 2: What is the process to restart QuickBooks database server manager?
Ans: The steps involved in the process of rebooting the QuickBooks database server manager are as follows:
- The very first step is to tap on the Windows start button and choose Control Panel.
- After that, double-tap on Administrative tools.
- The next step is to double-tap Services option.
- And then, right-click the suitable data manager.
- To save changes, reboot the service.
Question 3: Where can I find QuickBooks database server manager?
Ans: To locate the QuickBooks database server manager, the user is required to visit the start button and then tap on All Programs. After that click on QuickBooks database server manager tab. Then, scan the folders and find out the folder with company file.
Question 4: What does the QuickBooks database server manager do?
Ans: QuickBooks database server manager lets the users to share company files with other systems. Not only this, but it also helps the users to monitor their multi-user network. If you want your company file to be accessed by other users as well, then you must have QuickBooks database server manager.
Question 5: How to download QuickBooks database server manager 2019?
Ans: If the user wishes to download QuickBooks database server manager, then the following steps can be followed:
- Firstly, open QuickBooks installer, followed by initiating the Installation Wizard.
- Then, connect to the internet, and tap on Next.
- Now, the user is required to go through the software agreement and agree to terms and conditions, followed by tapping on to Next.
- Hit Custom or Network options.
- And then, choose the installation method.
- Now, type in license number if needed.
- The next step is to tap on Yes, and allow access.
- Lastly, carry out the on-screen prompts.
Question 6: What is the system requirement of QuickBooks database server manager?
Ans: The system requirements for QuickBooks database server manager, includes the following:
- Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit and Natively installed, Windows 8.1 64-bit natively installed, Microsoft Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Database server manager: Windows server 2016, Windows server 2012 R2 and windows server 2011. Windows 8.1 or windows 7 SP1, etc.
- Hardware and OS requirements: 2.4 GHz minimum, 4GB minimum, Server RAM requirements.
- Optical Drive: 4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations.
- Software Compatibility: QuickBooks software is compatible and is easy to interact with hundreds of third-party applications.
You may also like: