Get to know how you can Print W2 Forms in QuickBooks Desktop
Intuit’s QuickBooks have gained immense popularity in the world for having many powerful features. Businesses of all sizes depend on this application as it has simplified and streamlined their operations, thereby saving a lot of money as well as time.
There are various facets of this application and in this article, we will discuss how to Print W2 forms in QuickBooks desktop or online. The IRS W2 form is basically a statement that consists of all information about the salary or wages of the employees paid by the employer. It also has relevant details like tax deductions from paychecks and it is very useful for the employees when they are preparing their tax returns. It is very important to know the printing requirements of W2 form for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop before you go ahead with the steps.
Read this also: Steps to create a proforma invoice in QuickBooks desktop
Printing Requirements for QuickBooks desktop
Printing requirements of QuickBooks Desktop are below:
- In order to print W2 form in QuickBooks Desktop, you would require black ink and print on to paper. Also check if it is compatible with QuickBooks Payroll version
- Ensure that you are using a supported version of QuickBooks Desktop
- Also ensure that you have an active QuickBooks Payroll Standard or Enhanced Service
- You require W-2 paper that goes with the payroll service and printer
- You are suggested to use either blank/perforated papers or pre-printed forms of laser printer
- Also use pre-printed for inkjet printer
- Make sure you have the latest payroll tax table
Steps to Print W2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop
Checkout the following steps in order to print W2 forms with your QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1- Find then Open W2 and W3 forms from QuickBooks Desktop
- Firstly, click on Employees followed by Payroll tax forms and then W2s. Once done click on the Process payroll forms
- You have to now select the Annual Form W2/W3 and Tax Statement Transmittal. Then click on the Create Form tab
- After this if you want to file the form of all your employees then you have to choose All Employees. Then click on the Employee’s last name
- Now you have to add the year of the form that you plan to print and then click on OK. Do note that QuickBooks Desktop stores only version of the tax form. So, if you have the 2017 version form and you want to print W2 forms of the year 2016 then in that case you need to get the recent version of the form
- To print the form select the Employees and if you haven’t reviewed all the W2 forms then click on the Review/Edit tab. Now click on Submit to continue with the printing process.
- Lastly click on Print/e-file
Step 2- Choose the Paper type and item to print in the Print W2 and W3 Forms Window
- The first thing to do is select between blank/perforated paper and preprinted forms
- Under the Select Item to Print section, choose for whom you will be printing the form
See Also: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
In case you are using blank/perforated paper
- 3 per page: Copies B, 2, C
- 4 per page: Copies B,2, 2, C
- Employee filing instructions: Compulsory of not printed on paper
If you are using pre-printed forms
- W2- Copy B: for employee’s federal tax return, 2 per page
- Copy 2 of W-2: for your state or Local Tax Department, 2 per page
- W2- Copy C: for employee records, 2 per page
- Employee filing instructions: This is needed of it is not already printed on paper
- W-2 Copy D: for your record, 2 per page
- Employer filing instructions: for W2 and W3 forms
- W3 per page
- W2- Copy A: for the SSA, 2 per page
- W2- Copy 1: for your state or Local Tax Department, 2 per page
You may also like: How to Repair QuickBooks Error Code C=51?
Step 3: Export the W2s form to your PDF reader and then start printing
- You need to do the print test, if you are using pre-printed forms
- Click on Print PDF
- Now start the printing procedure from inside the PDF Reader
You can now print your W2s form from your system’s PDF reader by choosing File => Print and on-screen following the prompts
Print Requirement in QuickBooks Online
Things to remember when you plan to print W1 forms in QuickBooks Online
- Print the Employee W2s on 4 up horizontal blank perforated paper
- Ensure that you are using black ink
- Also note that you should have an active QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription
How to Print W2 forms in QuickBooks Online?
Below are the steps to print W2 forms in QuickBooks Online:
- Firstly, you have to go to the Taxes tab and then the Payroll Tax section
- Now you have to click on Annual Forms. Then you either click on All Employees section or on a specific employee name
- After this click on the W2, copies B, C & 2. You will also have to choose the right date range from the Period menu
You may also like: How to Setup Fees for QuickBooks Payments?
- Now click on the View so as to open the printable forms and then you have to click on the printer icon
One of the biggest benefits of printing W2 form in QuickBooks Online as well as QuickBooks Desktop is that it saves a lot of your time.
You may also read: How to Turn on Manual Payroll in QuickBooks Desktop?
Print, Save and Email W2 Forms with Adobe Reader
Below are the steps to print, save and email W-2 forms:
- Firstly, you have to go to the payroll tax center
- Now choose the employees and then payroll center
- After this click on the File Forms tab
- Click on the View/Print forms and W2’s
- Now add the payroll PIN and then click on the OK tab
- You will have to click on the View Employee W-2 forms for all year’s link in the box displayed
- Click on the name of the employees whose W2 form you will be printing. Then you have to follow the instructions by adobe so as to open the form in Adobe Reader
- Now click on the file and then hit Print.
- Once done, click on the File tab and then save. Select a location on your computer and then click on save
- In case, you wish to email the W2 form then you have to choose the file and then click on the Send tab. Post that you will require to click on Page by Email
- Lastly attach the file in your email
Printing the W2 forms in QuickBooks is not that difficult as it may seem. You simply have to follow the above-mentioned steps. If you get stuck or have any kind of query, then you can always connect with the QuickBooks enterprise support service providers who are available 24/7.
Our support team is available at our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490 and you can discuss your issue with our experts and certified QB ProAdvisors. Feel free to call us anytime and our team will be happy to help you!
Other helpful posts: