If you are looking for the process to convert a company file in QuickBooks Online to a desktop version of QuickBooks Enterprise, QuickBooks Premier or Pro Solution, then you might have to use the Export Interview and just follow the instruction to export either Lists and Transactions or Lists only. In today’s post, we are going to talk about the process of exporting the data file from QuickBooks online to desktop and in detail. Thus, make sure to stay tuned with the post. Many times, users for some reason wish to convert their data file from QBO to desktop. One of the major reasons behind this can be that the desktop software might have some plus points as compared to the QB online one.
However, this might need a bit technical knowledge, and if you do not want to risk your company data by doing it yourself, then you can also get in touch with our support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490, and let them carry out the process for you. Our experts will ensure to provide you with the best possible support services.
You may also read: How to fix errors while converting QuickBooks desktop to online?
Follow the steps to Export/Convert data file from QuickBooks Online to Desktop
Important: We recommend you to login with QuickBooks Administrator credentials to convert your company file.
Step 1: Set up security settings in Internet explorer
In order to import everything smoothly, the user needs to set up the security software in the internet explorer.
- The very first step is to right click the Internet explorer icon and then select the run as administrator option
- Once done with that, the user needs to select the tools icon and also select the internet options
- The next step is to select the security and trusted sites option
- And after that select the Sites option
- Also, enter the *.intuit.com *.qbo.intuit.com in the add this website to the zone field option
- Now, the user needs to ensure to un-check the require server verification for all sites in this zone
- The next step is to close the trusted sites window
- And also ensure to enable protected mode is unchecked
- After that choose the Apply tab and then OK tab
- The last step is to leave the internet explorer option
Read Also: How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 1321?
Step 2: Setting up QuickBooks desktop for the export
- In this step, the user needs to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon and also select the run as administrator.
- In case QB desktop is not installed, the user can download the trial version to use for this purpose
- After that, make sure to visit the file and then choose the close company option
- Also, leave the QuickBooks desktop open at the time of completing the rest of the steps
Step 3: Preparing to export the QuickBooks online data
- Open the version of QuickBooks desktop in which you want to convert your company file.
Note: Don’t go further No Company Open window and don’t open a company file yet.
- Login to your QuickBooks Online account.
- After that go to the Gear Icon and choose Export Data.
- Now enter your reason why you’re exporting your data and hit a click on Continue.
- After that choose Learn more option under Moving to QuickBooks Desktop
You may also like: Troubleshooting Steps for QuickBooks Error C=1304
- Again choose Learn more option under Download company data,
- Now review your data from the export overview screen, and then click Get Started.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error Code 15215?
- The next step is to select Install ActiveX control now and also follow the steps to install ActiveX.
- The user is then required to select finish when done with the installation of ActiveX
- Also, select the data you want to export and then select continue tab
- Now, review the limitation and hit continue again
- And then, enter the contact info and hit continue
The user will get an email when the data will be ready to export. It might take a couple of minutes or it may also end up in taking hours for companies with multiple transactions.
Step 4: Finish Exporting the data
In order to start in QuickBooks online, the user will be required to repeat a few steps to get back too the export page.
- The very first thing is to visit the setting tab and select export data in QB online
- And then, repeat the 2-5 steps in the Step:3. Also, prepare to export the QuickBooks online data
- And then, select continue to download on the exporting from QBO page
Now, switch to QuickBooks desktop
- In QuickBooks desktop, the user needs to ensure that you are on the no company open screen and also if you have the company open, then visit the file and then choose the close company option
- The next step is to select download back in QuickBooks online
- Also, in the save your company file window, the user needs to select a location to save the file
- And then, pick the place other than your Windows desktop
- After that, when the download finishes, the user needs to select convert now tab.
- In the create a new QuickBooks file window, the user needs to give the file a name and then choose a location to save it. And also, pick a location on the local system and not on a network or external drive
- The last step is to select finished after the export is done.
The point to be noted here is that it may take some time for the process to end. If it looks like it is frozen, it doesn’t mean that the export has failed. The user will have to give it a couple of minutes and the program bar will move again.
In case the status bar doesn’t appear to move
The user is supposed to check QuickBooks desktop for an application certificate. The steps to be followed are:
- The very first thing is to select the QuickBooks desktop icon to open it in the windows taskbar
- After that, the user needs to select yes in the application certificate prompt each time
- The next step is to select continue
- And then, in the confirmation window that follows, the user needs to hit done
See this also: How to Overcome QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Step 5: Verifying the info exported correctly
After exporting the company data, the user is supposed to use the profit and loss report to ensure that the books match. After that run one in QuickBooks online and compare it to the same report in QuickBooks desktop.
The user needs to note when comparing reports, the user needs to run them in accrual basis for them to match.
In case they do not match check out the steps below
Many times, reports mismatch due to export limitations and the user of unsupported versions of Internet explorer.
- In the QuickBooks desktop, the user needs to visit the file menu and then choose the close company
- And then move back to step 4 and make an attempt to convert the file again. Often, converting a second time can fix this problem
- Once it finishes, the user is recommended to check the profit and loss reports again. In case they still don’t match, contact us.
Step 6: Cancel QuickBooks online (optional)
In case the user do not need QuickBooks online any longer, then you can cancel your plan.
Follow the steps mentioned below to follow the steps if Lists is chosen:
- In the Exporting Lists, window read all the information.
- Click on Print the entire list of details and then read and retain the printed document.
- Now Click on Next tab.
- Click on Export tab which will open Create New QuickBooks File window.
Follow the steps mentioned below to follow the steps if Lists & Transactions is chosen:
- Use the drop-down arrow to choose the version of QuickBooks Desktop in which you want to convert your company file.
- Click on Next option.
- Read all the special conditions information and to indicate that you have read and understood the information mark each checkbox.
- Click on Print the entire list of details link and then read and retain the document which is printed.
- Click on Next.
- Confirm the email address and the name information also you can update if it is urgent.
- Click on Prepare Data.
- After reading the information about your data file is being prepared Click on OK.
- You will now receive an e-mail notifying you that your data is ready to download and then click on the Download the company file created on MM/DD/YY link in the Things To Do section of home page of your company.
- Select the same option as mentioned below for the Download the Prepared Data window:
- Choose I’m moving my data to QuickBooks Desktop edition.
- Choose I’m cancelling my QuickBooks Online subscription.
- Click on Next.
- In the How Long Will This Take wizard, click on Next again.
- Then, click on Download.
- Choose a location to save the exported company file data.
- Here, click on Save.
- Read the information displayed in the Convert the Data to QuickBooks Desktop Edition screen.
- Confirm that the QuickBooks Desktop edition is running but do not open a company.
- Click on Convert button.
Note: You will receive a prompt to accept a Digital Certificate and then click on Allow to accept the certificate.
- Choose a location to export in the Create New QuickBooks File window.
- Type the name of the company file.
- Click on Save.
Note: A progress bar is displayed on the screen when the progress is made.
- When conversion will complete then click on Finished.
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- Choose the File and then open Restore or Open Company.
- Choose Open a company file.
- At last, click on Next.
- Go to the location where you want to create the company file and then choose it and then click on Open.
Hopefully, the steps mentioned above to convert the company file in QuickBooks Online to desktop version has helped you a lot and if in case you still facing any issue in any steps then do not hesitate to dial our QuickBooks enterprise technical support number i.e. 1(844)521-0490.
Other helpful topics you may like: