Here is how you can create a backup of the QuickBooks desktop company file:
Before you run into a problem, and lose your crucial data, it is important to take the backup of the data. If you own a mid- or small-sized business and use QuickBooks Desktop for your bookkeeping and accounting requirements, then the following process can assist you in creating a backup of your QuickBooks desktop company file. Creating backups of your company file can protect you from sudden data loss. In case of accidental loss of data, these backup copies function as insurance. You can use them to restore a backup company file.
Read on to know how you can create a backup of your QuickBooks company file. Or you can also get in touch with our support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490. Give us a call and let our accounting professionals to create backup of the company file on your behalf. Our experts will be happy to help you.
You may also like: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error QBWC1085?
Steps to Back up your QuickBooks Desktop company file
Backing up company file saves everything present in the company file. All this might include the accounting data, templates, letters, logos, images, and related files (QuickBooks statement writer, cash flow projector, business planner, and loan manager). It should be noted that, backing up doesn’t save the payroll forms. The user can back up the data, either automatically or manually. Below, we will be discussing the ways in which the user can create a backup company file.
Method 1: Schedule automatic backups in QuickBooks
The steps to be followed to backup the company files are as follows:
- The very first step is to visit File and Switch to single-user mode
- And then, move to the QuickBooks file menu, select Backup Company and then Create Local Backup.
You may also like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
- Once you have the Create Backup window up on your screen, select Local Backup ad click on Options.
- After the Backup Options window pops up on your screen, click Browse and select a location to store the backup copy.
Important: It’s recommended to not save your backups on the main local drive. If you use a file hosting service, flash drive or any removable media, select them.
- After selecting the location, the user will have to click OK button.
- On the current page, the user needs to check out the other options too. And then select the option that you like. Every option is explained further on this page. Press OK when you are done.
- Find out and make a note of the date and time of the file backups to determine the files. You can use the checkbox to limit the number of backup copies and put a number to cap the number of backups created for every company. This process can help you significantly in saving space in hard drive.
- Click on the checkbox Remind me to back up when I close my company file every time and if you would want to receive reminders for creating backups, set a frequency.
- Always click on Options for verifying data before saving the changes. Skipping this step may make the backup process faster, but it’s advised to enable it so that you receive alerts whenever damage in file is detected. Following are your options:
- Complete verification (recommended)
- Quicker verification
- No verification
- The next step is to click on Next once the Create Backup window pops-up.
- And then, pick from whether to save your backup now, schedule future backups, or both.
- If you select save your backup now – You’ll receive a prompt to select a location for your backup file. The backup file will be saved in the location you specified. Though, you may also have an option to pick a different location. Next, select Save to create the backup file.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error Code 15215?
- If you choose both Save it now and schedule a future backup or just the latter to save file backups when closing your file, click on the checkbox Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file box. You can also decide the frequency for QuickBooks to be closed before you receive a prompt to create a backup.
- To save backups of QuickBooks company file on a set schedule, click New to set up a backup schedule. You can also choose to give your schedule a description, specify a location for backup, and set the days and times when you want the backup to perform.
- Once the process is over, click OK and then Finish, and you are good to go.
QuickBooks will create a backup and schedule your future backups at the same time.
Method 2: Manually backing up the company file
If the user is comfortable in backing up the company file manually, then in that case the following steps can be carried out.
- To begin with, visit the File menu in QuickBooks, and then select the Switch to Single-user Mode.
- After that, move to the file menu once again and then hover over the Backup Company. Along with that, opt for the Create Local Backup option.
- The next step is to opting for Local Backup option in the window and then hit Next.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to click on Browse in the Local Backup Only section, followed by selecting the place to save the backup company file.
- After that, set the number of backups that the user wishes to keep. It should be noted that this step is not a compulsion.
- It is recommended to the user to set backup reminders using the options in the Online and Local backup section.
- Now, the user needs to run a test to ensure that the backup file is in good shape before it is saved.
- And then, hit OK button.
- The user is then required to opt for the Save it now option, along with the Next option.
Once done! you will get a confirmation message.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks Web Connector?
Steps to Adjust the Backup settings in QuickBooks
If the user wants to find out when he/she backed up the company file, then in that case visit the File menu and then hover over the Back up Company option. After that, the user will see the time and date at the top of the menu.
In case the user wants to change the backup preferences, then the below stated steps can work well:
- First of all, opt for the File and hover over Back up Company. After that click on the Create Local Backup.
- The next step is to select the Options.
- And to end the process the user needs to make the changes and hit OK button.
Steps to Restore Backup settings in QuickBooks
Now that the user has the backup of the company file, then the user can use to restore the QuickBooks company file. It should be noted that this file has a .qbb extension at the end of the file name. The point to be noted here is that if the user keeps the backup company files on an external device or a hosting service like Box, then the user will be needed to move them to the local hard drive first before restoring.
Read this also: How to Fix QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
We hope you find this blog post informative and helpful in creating backup of the QuickBooks desktop company file. Creating a backup of the company file is a must, in order to avoid any mess in future. In case you need any assistance, you can reach us on our toll-free 1(844)521-0490.
Our QuickBooks enterprise support team will handle your all problems in no time. Calling us will help you in getting rid of all sorts of queries related to QB, as our team of experts and certified accounting professionals work round the clock to provide the best possible support services.
Read other helpful resources: